Do you have a unique idea worth spreading? An idea that contributes to the betterment of humanity, and is likely to be the talk of your life?
Giving a great TEDx talk has plucked many an unknown expert from the depths of obscurity to a place of prominence on the worldwide stage.
That’s why most speakers hire an experienced speaker coach to guide them through the rigorous process of preparing for, and delivering, a life-changing TEDx talk.
No matter where you are on your TEDx journey — whether you’re just beginning to hatch your “idea worth spreading,” or need a seasoned pro to rehearse you to polished perfection — I have a package that’s right for you.
The TEDx website offers numerous resources to help you prepare for your talk and meet the rigid deadlines established by TEDx. Start by downloading the TEDx Speaker Guide. Next, look at this page, which explains the TEDx expectations for speakers during the preparation stage.
Choose from one of three packages designed to fit your particular situation. Here’s how my “elite,” full service package TEDx speaker coaching works:
- We’ll start with a get acquainted session to develop your idea and identify the key messages you want to relay to the audience. From this session, we’ll hone in on your theme and develop an outline.
- We will spend a session or two reviewing the art of presentation. We’ll do “table reads” to mark up key words and phrases, insert meaningful pauses, and which movements will achieve the most profound effect.
- Through writing, timing and tweaking, we’ll continually massage your talk until it flows smoothly.
- Then, it’s rehearse, rehearse, rehearse with one-hour sessions, tweaking your talk, adding or deleting phrases to maximize impact and sharpen your message.
- We’ll make improvements to your voice and body language, building on your strong points, minimizing your weak points and polishing your delivery, diction and gestures to make your talk distinctive, engaging and powerful.
- Next, we polish your performance, discuss what you’re going to wear, practice the talk with your slides (if applicable) and anything else you need help with
- If you are a speaker for a TEDxWilmington event, I will attend your official rehearsals at the venue and take notes.
- As your TEDx speaking coach, I am also your accountability partner, helping you stay on track in order to meet the stringent deadlines established by the TEDx organizer. (Missing a deadline is fatal!)
- If needed, I’ll assist with shooting the various videos you’re required to provide as required by the TEDx speaker agreement.
- Also if needed, I’ll ghostwrite the three (3) blogs you’re required to write under the TEDx speaker agreement.
- The elite package also includes consulting to boost the number of views on your video on the official TEDx YouTube site, and coaching on how to leverage your TEDx video to build a more profitable presence.
- Bonus: No matter which package you select, you’ll also receive my gift of a beautiful, hardcover picture book commemorating your appearance on the TEDx stage.
Prefer just a few hourly rehearsal critique sessions?
Already have your TEDx talk, but want a seasoned professional to help you rehearse and refine? This option is a favorite with people who are accomplished speakers, but who are unfamiliar with the TEDx experience and want their moment on the red carpet to be singular and flawless.
Why work with me?
For more than 30 years, I have coached and written speeches for top-line executives, celebrities and subject matter experts to deliver powerful speeches and presentations to large audiences and the media. I was once a professional actor, director and musician, so I know a thing or two about stage presence and pleasing audiences. And, I’ve personally delivered loads of speeches and workshops. I know what works, and what doesn’t.
I am a member of the all-volunteer core planning team for TEDxWilmington, which gives me intimate knowledge of the TEDx experience, requirements and the rigors of preparation. I contribute my PR expertise to the organization, write blogs and am spearheading the production and launch of a podcast showcasing prior speakers.
With me as your TEDx speaker coach, you’ll have the additional benefit of me as your publicity advisor, too. As a public relations consultant, I help businesses and brands tell their stories in the media, on stage, with podcasts, and through the strategic distribution of compelling content. My greatest joy is coaching successful leaders to develop the powerful, public presence they need to become well-known influencers and subject matter experts.
What people are saying:
“Dana’s wealth of knowledge, dedication, and ability to develop my story and one idea worth spreading for my TEDx talk was impeccable. I commend and recommend her coaching services wholeheartedly.“ Listen to his talk, “Technological Armageddon: A Wake-up Call,” here.
“Dana is a tremendously thoughtful and brilliant woman. Anyone seeking to amplify their message in the way that matters most should speak with Dana FIRST, whether it is to be recognized in the news, have their content written more personally or improving their own personal brand. I cannot imagine anyone more talented to get the work done right the first time than Dana Dobson. She is a 10+ in my book!” Listen to her talk, “How to Connect with Anyone” here.
“I was so grateful to have worked with Dana Dobson for my TEDx preparation. She made the process very comfortable and supportive, however gave me constructive feedback to ensure my talk was a success. She is very experienced and has a vast knowledge of TEDx preparation strategies. I felt that the tips she provided were extremely valuable in giving the talk of my life” Listen to her talk, “Challenge Accepted,” here.
“The beauty of working with a kindred sprit is that they get you and want you to be your best. Drawing out every nuance and making the most of every minute, so that you connect and convey the message you believe is worth spreading. That is who Dana has been for me. This brilliant woman, who skillfully guided and coached me through my TEDx talk, also edited my first book. I’m grateful for the partnership and collaboration we share that continues to enhance my life. Dana is so much more than just a wordsmith and communication expert, she is a trusted ally for your good so that the contents of your heart find their powerful place on the TEDx stage. Thank you Dana! I could not have done it without you!” Listen to her talk, “Kairos Living in a Chronos World,” here.